Saturday, November 14, 2009

Ugh...Saturday Morning Cartoons

I remember when I was a kid waking up early and turning on the TV to watch really cool stuff on non-cable stations like the Smurfs, the Snorks and the Bugs Bunny Road Runner Show. (I think it was called that, it was Bugs Bunny anyway). Now you can't even watch real cartoons on Saturday morning. There's news programming on TV on Saturday morning. Who gets up early to watch the news on Saturday mornings?

All the kids have now is Dora the Explorer and the Asian version of her, Ni Hao Kai Lan. They're both loud and annoying. I know kids learn through repetition but it's ridiculous how she repeats everything a million times and then the map does it too. It's really creepy the way she stands there, blankly staring at the screen and I know she's waiting on the kids in their homes to answer but it's just creepy. When I'm sick of her I go to youtube and watch the videos that have been dubbed over. My favorite is one that has nearly every other word bleeped out so that it sounds like she's really cursing up a storm. Call me bad but it's hilarious. It's fun to use your imagination and fill in the bleeps with your own personal bad words.

Another show created for children that really drives me bonkers is Oobi. Have you seen this? It's hands with eyeballs. They talk in "sentences" like "Oobi drink, you drink. Oobi drink." At the beginning of an episode the other night the announcement said that it helps in language development. Yeah, right, maybe if you're teaching someone from a newly discovered area of the world how to speak English but I'd rather not have my 8 month old learning to talk like Oobi.

And don't even get me started on Steve leaving Blue's Clues and being replaced by Joe. Oh golly, that Joe is really strange. Steve is the man! He gave stay at home mom's a reason to look pretty while her young spit up on her.

Well, that's it for now. I'm sure my middle son is going to give me plenty to blog about later judging from the mood he's in. As a matter of fact he's already given me my next blogs topic: Calls to 911.

Hugs & God Bless!
Andrea

1 comment:

April (Mama is on the Potty) said...

OMG! Funny! You are sooooo right about cartoons! I hate how Dora blinks. It freaks me out!
Is it sick that I may of had some grown up dreams about Steve??
Keep bloggin! I can't wait to read more!