Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Church isn't high school

I have a lot to blog about already this week and it's only Tuesday. I've decided to break it up through the week so that your eyes aren't assaulted too much in one day.

So Sunday, the two oldest kids and I went to church. The weather was cold and damp so I left the baby with my mom. Anyway, as we all know it's getting close to Christmas and my church likes to "do it up big". First of all, this blog post is going to make me sound like a big old fat hypocrite but of course that is not my intention. It just seems to me that over the past two years my church has became comparable to a high school clique. A few years ago, someone and their family joined our church. Well, since this person has joined our church the pastor has acted like this person was the end all beat all member that our church has needed. Our church thrived and existed for over 200 years before this person was ever a member of our church but suddenly that person is there and we can go on. This person was handed the role of organizing Vacation Bible School and only she can pick and choose who enters the church to do anything during VBS. What I'm about to tell you is the God's honest truth. I signed up last year to help with Bible school. Time was getting closer and closer for it to begin and no one had let me know anything. So I called this person and "person" says that I'm not needed. Okay, pardon my French but what the hell? That's not the attitude a church person should have. That was "person's" exact words. The only people that get to do anything at our church now is the young soccer mom's. I've done something at Bible school for the past 15 years and now this "person" comes along and I'm not good enough.

But anyway back to the most recent events. Our church is preparing for our Christmas production and you guessed it! "Person" is in charge of this too. And who gets the lead part every year? "Person" does. Now this "person" does a really good job and last years Christmas production was just the best ever but that's not the point. My kids are supposed to be in this production on this coming Sunday night but no one has informed me or my oldest of when practice is. Yeah. They have my cell number and my daughter's, my email address and a few are on my facebook but no one can contact us.

This past Sunday there was a preview of our Christmas production and you'll never guess who did the preview. The "person" and their tribe of soccer moms. Yeah. As I sat there I started thinking about all of the crap that has happened like this over the past 2 years that ''person'' has been a member at our church. Before this person joined our church we had Christmas plays and cantatas and everyone was invited to take part. Of course, not everyone participated but at least they were invited to. No one was left out and it was nice to be asked. It's almost like this person is more concerned with having all of the beautiful people in their production than making people happy and not feel left out. That's just not celebrating the real meaning of Christmas at all!

I just think that some people are at church for the right reasons. I'm not saying that I'm a holy roller but I do know what's right and that's just not right.

The afternoon did get better though. We had my grandmother's 91st birthday get together with the family and it turned out fine. I still think meme is confused about her age but that's okay with me. How many people can say they have a 200 year old meme? LOL

Good night and God bless!
Andrea

No comments: